Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Funky and fruity

One more reason I shop at my local farmers' market. The first peaches of the season have arrived, and... yeah... they are pretty freaking amazing. I had to stand in line at the market to get the peaches, and since it's been almost a year since I've had a fresh peach, there was no way I wasn't going to have some; you know what? They were totally worth the wait.

The funky green thing next to it is romanesca, introduced to me by Mark from Ollin Farms. It's like brocolli, but tastes a little bit different; I like it a lot.

That's what makes shopping at a farmers' market so much cooler than going to a grocery store. In a grocery store, chances are the produce clerk could tell me about the plant, but not much more. Mark was great; told me what it was, where it orginated, and even who recommended that he grow it this year. He even gave me a sample of it to try (and it was tasty!), which doesn't happen often in a store, either.

The peaches? Yeah, use a napkin. The odd weather this spring has definitely helped make this year's crop some of the sweetest, juiciest peaches I've ever had. Ever. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I lived in Georgia for 6 months a while back, and a Georgia peach doesn't come close to a Colorado peach. The farmers' market is open again Saturday! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment