Speaking of books, I was vaguely horrified recently to discover that there were quite a few locally owned, independent bookstores in the Denver/Boulder area I had yet to visit. Without waiting long, I began to rectify that, and have taken it one step further.
Not long ago I took a "Nerd's Field Trip" to three bookstores within a short distance of one another on Broadway Avenue in Denver: Fahrenheit's Books, the Broadway Book Mall, and the Denver Book Fair. I found all three stores good places to visit, and I plan to return again soon.
Which brings me to my next adventure: Book Nerds' Big Day Out. Basically, it goes something like this: this Wednesday some friends of mine and I are going to get together and explore as many bookstores as we can in one day. Here's a rough idea of what it will look like for us:
Okay, so here's what I am planning for my Book Nerd's Big Day Out in Denver:
- 9:00 a.m.- Breakfast at Snooze. (A locally owned, independent restaurant)
- 10:00 - Head out to the bookstores. I have found 13 bookstores in the Denver area (I counted Tattered Cover twice); some are within walking distance of each other. I might not go to all of them, mostly because of not wanting to pay for parking. :-p Each of the stores is locally owned and independent: a major theme of mine and certainly a huge part of the day.
- Lunch wherever, whenever (Try to make the goal to eat at a locally owned, independent place, though...bonus points for trying some place new!) :)
- 4:00 - Tea at the House of Commons on 15th St. (*NOTE: If it proves that there are too many, we'll likely change the 4:00 location to either St. Mark's on 17th or Hooked on Colfax.)
- Any and all bookstores must be locally and independently owned. No chains, period.
- As much as possible, buy at least one book at each store (many used bookstores have a $1 clearance section)
- Buy at least one book to trade with someone else.
For those that might be interested, here is a list/map of the stores we plan to visit:
View Map for Book Nerds' Big Day Out 2011 in a larger map