Thursday, June 25, 2009

Goodbye, Farrah; Rest well, Michael, thank you for the music




Bits of my childhood died today with the passing of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. Charlie's Angels was a show I rarely missed when it was on, and Michael Jackson's music was a constant soundtrack playing in the background of my life. Michael Jackson's music was always there for me: I heard "ABC" and other Jackson 5 songs on Saturday morning cartoons when I was a kid; his solo work was what we all danced to in the bars when I was in college; I used the music video for "Thriller" in class to demonstrate the elements of horror fiction... the music of Michael Jackson was just a given in my world. When "Thriller" premiered on MTV (back in the day when they actually played music), all of us knew how transformative that video was. Like him or not, there is no arguing his impact on pop culture and music. And just like that, he's gone. It's a little weird for me to think that when I wake up tomorrow, it will be a world without Michael Jackson in it. He was only six years older than I am; I knew that at some point he would pass, of course, but certainly not at 50 years old. So goodbye, Farrah, and rest well, Michael, be at peace. Thank you. Both of you.

1 comment:

  1. The weird thing is, articles are still be written about MJ's passing. And it's not the family generating them, it's the media!

    In comparison, very little was said about the passing on the same day of Lt. Brian Bradshaw.

    ReplyDelete